Caramel consists almost entirely of sugar. Not really good for your health, but so tasty. Thanks to Zùsto, for the first time you can make sugar-free caramel. Delicious as a dessert or simply to enjoy from a spoon.
Preparation time: 5 min.
Ready in: 15 min
For: 400 millilitres
- 200 g of Zùsto
- 100 millilitres of water
- 90 g of butter
- 125 millilitres of fresh cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Pour the water into a pan and bring it to the boil. Add the Zùsto gradually to avoid lumps forming. Zùsto must be completely covered with the water. Heat the mixture until it starts to bubble and gradually changes colour. Note: do not mix it. The caramel should have a nice amber colour. Make sure it does not colour too much, because then it will be burnt and have a bitter taste.
- When you have reached the right amber colour, add the butter as soon as possible and continue to stir for about 1-2 minutes until the butter is completely dissolved.
- Carefully add the cream. Be careful, it might splash because you’re adding cold liquid. Continue to stir it for a minute until the mixture is smooth. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and add salt to taste. Let your salted caramel cool before using. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.