Recipe by: Gaël (The Happy Encounter)
A classic dish that’s enhanced with a surprisingly fresh touch of thyme!
I made this recipe for Mother’s Day, and it was a big success. Why don’t you write down the recipe and maybe make it for Father’s Day? In honour of all the gourmet dads out there, here’s my recipe for strawberry and thyme galettes.
For the pastry
- 250 g pastry flour
- 60 g of Zùsto (or cane sugar)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 g of butter
- Fresh lemon thyme (or fresh thyme)
- 1 egg
For the filling
- 600 g strawberries
- 40 g of Zùsto (or sugar; optionally 10 g less if the strawberries are very sweet)
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- Vanilla flavouring
- A few sprigs of lemon thyme to serve (fresh thyme also works well)
- To prepare the galette pastry dough, tip all the ingredients (flour, Zùsto, salt, butter and thyme) into your food processor bowl and mix them together until you get a smooth dough.
- Cut the strawberries into thin slices and mix them in a bowl with the Zùsto, two tablespoons of cornflour and a drop of vanilla flavouring.
- Roll out the dough to a circle measuring 4-5 mm thick and place it in a mould lined with baking paper. Place the strawberries into the centre and fold over the edges of the pastry around them.
- Beat the whole egg and use it to brush the edges of the galette.
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Serve with a few sprigs of lemon thyme, or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an even more delicious treat.
Gaël, the author of the food and travel blog ‘The Happy Encounter’, has always been a fan of simple cuisine based on quality local products. He is particularly fond of Italian cuisine. And his passion? Travelling around the regions of Italy to meet the producers with his family, because you are never too young to learn about the good things in life!
“I like products that you can really enjoy, especially when they have 4 times fewer calories and are Belgian! ”