Start by preparing the filling:
- Place the milk and lemon rind in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Split the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to the milk.
- Beat the eggs in a food processor with a little of the Zùsto. Gradually add the milk to the rest of the Zùsto. Beat until fluffy for at least 10 minutes until the mixture has doubled in volume.
- Remove the lemon rind from the milk. Gradually add the semolina to the hot milk. Continue to stir with a wooden spoon to prevent lumps from forming.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Gradually fold the eggy mixture into the milk. Make sure it doesn’t curdle.
- Add the butter. Mix well and set the filling aside to cool to room temperature.
Now you can prepare the galaktoboureko
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC, with heat from above and below.
- Grease a baking tin of your choice with butter. Line the tin with 10 sheets of filo pastry, changing the direction each time (crosswise). Brush each sheet all over with melted butter before placing it in the tin. The filo pastry should hang over the edges of the tin.
- Spoon in the filling (custard) and fold the overhanging edges of the filo pastry back over the custard.
- Then brush all the folded over filo sheets with melted butter as well.
- Place the remaining 5 sheets of filo pastry on top of the custard. Brush each sheet with butter. Tuck in the edges to seal the custard filling.
- Sprinkle the remaining butter over the galaktoboureko, making sure it gets into the corners and along the edges.
Bake the galaktoboureko for 45 minutes in the preheated oven.
How do I prepare the syrup with Zùsto?
- Bring the water and the lemon juice to the boil. Add the Zùsto spoonful by spoonful while stirring with a whisk.
- Boil until the liquid has reduced to 2/3 of the original volume.
The finishing touch:
- Remove the galaktoboureko from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on your worktop.
- Ladle the syrup over the pastry and set aside to cool completely. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours and preferably overnight. Cut into pieces and serve.