For the cookies
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the sugar and vanilla sugar and mix.
- Then add the butter and knead the mixture with your fingers until you can form a firm ball of dough.
- Wrap the cookies in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for half an hour.
- Sprinkle your work surface generously with flour and roll out the dough to about 1 to 1.5 cm thick. Now use your star shapes. It may well be some of the same big ones.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray and place the biscuits on it. Bake the biscuits at 180°C for 12 to 15 minutes. When they are golden brown, they are ready (check at 12 minutes to make sure they don’t burn).
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Beat the egg whites until frothy. Sieve the Zùsto and gently fold it under the egg whites until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Now carefully mix in the dye until you get the colour you want.
- When the cakes have cooled, brush edible glue on the top in the centre. Then arrange the stars so that you get a Christmas tree.
- Add the gel icing to a piping bag and gently pipe onto the ‘branches’ of the Christmas tree. If necessary, spread with a knife or spoon until everything is covered.
- You can still decorate with sugar balls if you want.