- Make the hazelnut butter by melting it over medium heat. You have to stir it constantly with a whisk. Keep stirring until it turns a nice hazelnut colour. Remove the pan from the heat when it stops “singing” and pour it into a bowl to stop cooking.
- In a bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients: Zùsto – almond powder – yeast and flour.
- Add the egg whites and whisk.
- Once the mixture is smoothly mixed, pour in the hot (but not boiling!) butter and mix well.
- Pour 2/3 of the mixture into the silicone moulds.
- Bake in the oven at 180° for 19 minutes. Check if it is cooked by using the tip of a knife.
For the buttercream
- Halve the vanilla pod and remove the seeds from the vanilla pod.
- Bring to a boil the Zùsto, together with the water and the seeds of the vanilla pod (bring to 120 degrees).
- Meanwhile, beat the 4 egg yolks with the whisk attachment on your mixer (on maximum setting).
- Now very slowly add the Zùsto syrup in a stream, pouring it down the side of the bowl into the egg yolks – do this while still mixing, but at half speed! watch out to make sure it doesn’t burn!!!
- When the syrup is well mixed in, turn the mixer to high speed and continue for at least 10 mins until the outside of the bowl is no longer warm to the touch.
- Now add the butter, cube by cube, until all of it is incorporated.
- Bring 100 grams of Zùsto and 50 grams of water to a boil and let it cool.
- After it has cooled you can flavour it with Rum, Kirsch, or a liqueur if you want.
- Pipe the buttercream on the topping using the indented nozzle.
- Spread the syrup over the buttercream. Place a wire rack under it.
- Repeat to achieve the desired result.