For the cake
- Grease the round springform pan with margarine or butter and dust generously with flour. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift the flour together with 75 g Zùsto into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites together with a pinch of salt until frothy. Add the cream of tartar to it. Continue beating, and as you continue beating add spoonful by spoonful of the remaining Zùsto (60 g) to it.
- Whisk to stiff peaks of egg white and add the vanilla extract and coconut extract.
- Now sift one third of the flour mixture over the egg white batter and mix lightly with a spatula. Add another third of the flour mixture and continue adding until you’ve lightly incorporated everything.
- Pour the mixture into the springform pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven until the edges and top turn golden brown (prick it with a skewer or cake stick to check if the cake is cooked properly).
- Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes. Carefully work the sides loose with the blunt side of a knife before snapping the mould off. Let the cake continue to cool on a cooling rack.
For the meringue
- Place the egg whites and the Zùsto in a heat-resistant bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of cold water. Beat the egg whites with a whisk.
- Place the bowl over a pot with a little water in it. Put the pot on the stove to heat the water and place the bowl containing the egg white-Zùsto mixture inside the pot. The bowl may barely not touch the water. The egg white-Zùsto mixture should be heated au-bain-marie (double boiler). Keep whisking the mixture until you have eliminated all the lumps. It will gradually start to foam. This takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the hot pot and beat the egg whites in the stand mixer or with a hand mixer. Add the vanilla extract, the coconut extract and the cream of tartar.
- Beat until stiff glossy peaks form.
For the assembly of the cake
- Once the cake has cooled down, cut it in half lengthways.
- Cut the cake into 2 discs and, using a kitchen knife, cut a ‘slit’ in the circumference (so you can fill it with the meringue).
- Spread meringue generously into the slit and all over the cake. Sprinkle with coconut shavings. Cover with the second disc of cake. Spread the rest of the meringue all around the cake and on top. It doesn’t have to be sleek and smooth. Decorate all around and on top with coconut shavings.
- Store in the fridge overnight.