Recipe by: Alexia (Must Be Yummie)
Anyone who follows my Instagram page will know that I recently bought a KitchenAid ice cream maker and that I’ve been experimenting with it a lot. It makes delicious items, but they’re full of cream and sugar.
When I was asked to test Zùsto, I didn’t hesitate for a second – I was going to try to use it to prepare ice cream!
When life give you lemons, make some sherbet! A sorbet can quickly become too sweet or too acidic, but a sherbet combines the best of both worlds – ice cream and sorbet. The outcome of this experiment? A delicious ice cream with the sweet taste of lemon and a hint of cinnamon.
Tip: for a special touch, I hollowed out the squeezed lemons and filled them with sorbet, which is very practical because you can serve them in no time and don’t have to wait until your ice cream is ready to work with.
- 200 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 100 g of Zùsto
- 300 ml (soya) cream (I used Alpro Cuisine)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Whip the soya cream and add the Zùsto little by little, otherwise you will have to do as I did and start again.
- Once the Zùsto is diluted, add the lemon juice and cinnamon powder and mix them together well.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and run for 20 minutes to make sherbet. The ice cream will have a texture that is halfway between ice cream and sorbet.
- Use immediately or store in the freezer.
Alexia Stevens is the driving force behind the Must Be Yummie food blog. Alongside her busy job in the human resources sector, she has a passion for healthy cooking for her family, reading cookbooks and travelling.
Because of her husband’s and children’s intolerances, Alexia has been cooking gluten-free and lactose-free for several years, and in her cookbook ‘Iedereen Eet Mee’ she shares tips, tricks and allergy-friendly recipes for the whole family.
Zùsto is easy to use because there is no need to do any conversions – you just have to replace the sugar with Zùsto. The taste is also very natural, unlike other sugar substitutes and I was very pleasantly surprised by the result. I have already used it to make ice creams, brownies, cookies and cakes and everybody loved them.
We are definitely fans of it!