- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut the aubergine into slices about 2 cm thick, then halve again (so you have half-moons). Cut the courgette into cubes about 2 cm in diameter, then finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Start warming the deep pan and heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Fry the onion for about 3 minutes and then add the cubed courgette. Season with pepper, salt, oregano and cinnamon. Fry for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add the red lentils along with the balsamic vinegar and vegetable stock. Then add the Zùsto and leave to simmer over a low heat for about 25 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Place the aubergine on a baking tray with some olive oil, salt and pepper and place in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Spoon the tomato/lentil mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and half of the light Emmental. Cover with the aubergine slices and then sprinkle the remainder of the two cheeses on top.
- Place in the oven for another 10 minutes or so at 200°C. If necessary, put the grill on for the last few minutes!
Tip: you can serve this with bread if you wish, but you’ll probably find there is more than enough with the lentils, cheese and serving of vegetables!