For the cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease the springform pan and dust generously with flour.
- Sift the baking flour together with the cocoa powder and mix in the salt and Zùsto. Put aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the margarine until soft and add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract and mix further.
- Pour the buttermilk into a measuring cup and stir in the red food coloring.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture and buttermilk in turns. Finish with the flour.
- Put the baking powder in a separate bowl and add the vinegar. Let it foam for a moment, then add it to the batter (this will make the cake fluffier).
- Pour the batter into the springform pan. Bake the cake for +/- 60 min in the preheated oven (if necessary, cover the top with aluminum foil if it starts to bake too hard).
- Let the cake cool for 15 min before snapping off the edges of the mould. Then allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the cream cheese frosting
- Mix the butter until soft.
- In another mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese together with the Zùsto and vanilla extract.
- Add the cream cheese batter to the softened butter and mix until even.
- Does your cake have a “bump”? Then cut this off with a large kitchen knife so that you have a flat top (keep this aside, this will be used later to decorate the top). Cut the cake lengthwise so that you get 2 flat cakes.
- Place 1 cake slice on a cake tray or plate and spread with cream cheese frosting (about 1/3rd of the batter). Then place the 2nd cake slice on top. Finish off the top and edges of the cake with the remaining cream cheese frosting. For this you can use a palette knife or an ordinary knife. Crumble the piece of cake you’d set aside (from the hump) and sprinkle it over the top of the cake for decoration.
- Store in the fridge.